Board Development Intensive on June 05, 2017
The DeVos Institute is pleased to announce a Board Development Intensive for arts managers and their boards.
The intensive will take place June 05, 2017, at the Phillips Collection in Washington, D.C.
DeVos Institute Chairman Michael M. Kaiser and President Brett Egan will define the “rules of engagement” between effective staffs and boards. The intensive will help participants design – through case studies and question-and-answer sessions – a lean, focused, and consistent approach to leverage every ounce of goodwill, talent, and resource offered on both sides of the staff-board partnership.
The opportunity is open on a first-come, first-served basis to staff and board members from arts and cultural organizations nationwide. The intensive is most relevant to organizations in the following disciplines:
- Performing and visual arts;
- Community-based artistic practice;
- Arts education;
- Historical, science, and educational (museums and centers);
- Film and media; and
- Other cultural non-profits that require strong marketing and fundraising, including gardens, libraries, multi-tenant cultural facilities, and craft (glass, print, etc.).
The intensive runs from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on June 05 at The Phillips Collection (1600 21st Street NW; Washington, D.C.), America’s first museum of Modern art and one of the world’s most distinguished collections of Impressionist and Modern American and European art. Breakfast and registration begin at 8:30 a.m.
ABOUT THE BOARD DEVELOPMENT INTENSIVE
Leaders join boards with the best of intentions: to support and steward organizations that elevate, inspire, and enhance their communities through exemplary art.
But – intentions aside – a quickly changing environment (technological, economic, and demographic) has greatly complicated the job of both the manager and the board member. Today, more than ever, arts organizations and their boards have no time, and no money, to waste.
So, given this environment, what is required to build and maintain a truly effective board?
Why do certain boards flourish while others stagnate?
Why, when facing challenges, do some boards rally, while others fragment and fail?
How do staff-board teams, working in tandem, go from “good” to “great”?
Seminar topics include:
- The Cycle (The Institute’s approach to managing arts organizations through an integrated approach to long-term artistic planning, marketing, and fundraising);
- Creating the "Ideal Board” (A five-year plan for developing the board your organization needs to execute its mission);
- Identifying, Recruiting, and Engaging New Board Members;
- The Role of the Board Chair;
- Maximizing the Board-Staff Relationship;
- Fundraising in the Arts; and
- Strategic Planning.
Participating organizations will receive planning tools focused on the board-staff relationship.
For more information or questions regarding the Board Development Intensive, please contact Marie Gossman at MEGossman [at] DeVosInstitute.net or 301-314-0948.